Monday, March 1, 2010

Three-a-day

Sunday, February 28, 2010

I popped open the garage door to grab the Sunday paper. Naturally, there was another 4 inches of snow on the ground, but it was the three feet at the bottom of the driveway (yes – I measured it) that had me excited. I stripped to my t-shirt, grabbed the shovel and headed for the mound. My neighbor, someone I’ve taken through workouts, was walking to get her paper when I barked “get your shovel. It’s a great workout.”

“I haven’t read the paper yet,” she replied.

Loser. But my attempt to guilt her had the desired affect and in short order she had returned with a shovel. I’d completed mine by now and the whole drive had only taken thirty minutes. I was moving fast and it was heavy, which generated a heart rate of around 120 beats per minute. I wanted to show off my endurance and so went over to help her out. Thirty minutes later, her driveway was done and I had in an hour of intense exercise. I also was developing a very sore back.

Since I was sweaty already, I figured it would be a good time to get in my run. I headed for the park where the trails now had about 8 unpacked inches covering them. It was about 30 degrees, really kind of warm for a run and so I was in a short-sleeved t-shirt, shorts and head band and, of course, socks on my hands. As I exited my car, the lady next to me was preparing for her cross-country ski trek. She noticed my outfit and looked disdainfully away. Some time in the early 90’s I had initiated the ‘bare legs’ running group, which challenged its members to see how far into the winter they could run without covering their legs. I’d gone about ten years that way – no matter how cold it got and so this was no big deal. There’s a saying in the winter with regards to any kind of outdoor exercise - ‘if you’re comfortable at the start – you’re overdressed’. I was actually comfortable and I had little to take off.

I headed down the all-purpose trail, running on narrow part of the trail that had been packed somewhat by the previous walkers, hikers and skiers. I had numerous comments from my fellow trail users about my lack of clothing. I mostly responded that it felt great – and it did. By the time I hit the turnaround, I was so hot that I needed to take my socks off my hands. I had originally figured I’d run thirty minutes, but I was feeling good and extended the turnaround. I passed my car on the return in an effort to put in a couple of more minutes, making the total run forty minutes. My calf continued to be my main concern, but it was doing well, though it was tight. I was tired and collapsed into the front seat for the drive home and the bike trainer.

Once home, I quickly got on the trainer. I didn’t want time to think more about how exhausted I was. I turned on the winter Olympics and watched the 50K cross country ski race. These were the best cardiovascular athletes in the world and their sport was the most demanding of any aerobic sport. It required so much oxygen to support the total effort of the large muscles of the lower and upper body that they’re calorie consumption was the top of any sport. Watching them work and knowing they would be at the edge for over 30 miles made my little shoveling, run and bike ride seem so insignificant. I easily completed the 60 minute ride.
I
t was quite a training day. I had done my first three-a-day since my triathlon days and burned 2,300 calories in the process. I was really looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow morning. I could use the rest.

Shovel duration: 60 minutes. Run duration: 40 minutes. Bike duration: 60 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 120 shoveling, 145 running, 125 biking.

Calories burned during workout: 600 shoveling, 680 running, 900 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment