Friday, March 26, 2010

A day of guilt

Thursday, March 25, 2010

“So…we’re going to eat in about 15 minutes, then head to the mall and look at frames for glasses – they have a 50% off sale and Lenscrafters – then I want to go to Michael’s and the movie plays at 10 p.m.,” Holly explained as I walked into the kitchen.

“…and don’t tell me about how you need to exercise and your stupid blog,” she said.

Okay…that last part she said with her eyes, but that was the part I heard the most clearly. I had to get away from her and think. Now…if we got the shopping done fast enough, I could throw the bike on the trainer (it was snowing outside – not that it ever snows inside) and get in a quick 30-minute ride. That was one option. Another was I could go for a walk or ride the trainer after we returned from the movie at, oh, midnight? Not going to happen.

Or I could take that day off my body was craving. Oh man – the guilt I was feeling!

I have been exercising pretty consistently for over forty years, but never in all that time had I gone so many days without a break. And yet…I just didn’t want to stop. I mean I’m not worried that I won’t be at it again tomorrow, but I don’t know, I just felt soooo guilty.

We made to the mall and then over to Michael’s. There was a Giant Eagle in the same parking lot and we needed milk so I suggested I’d go get it while Holly shopped. This was my chance! I’d grab the milk and do laps around the parking lot while I was waiting for her. I could get in some decent walking – nothing too strenuous since I didn’t have a pack or trails, but still – I’d be doing something. So I did.

Obviously something has changed in my thought process and attitude…and I’m okay with it. I really have the feeling that nothing could ever again stand in the way of my commitment to staying fit. I will experience minor setbacks at times. Let’s face it – life gets in the way from time to time. There are actually things more important than working out (I typed it - I didn't say it). It’s okay. Do what you have to and get back to the routine the next day. Truly, the body does need a rest from time to time.

In the meantime…I’m going nuts waiting for the chance to do something. Maybe a double tomorrow??

No comments:

Post a Comment